This investigation responds to Recommendation 12 of the Auditor-General’s Report No. 3/15, to evaluate restoration against ongoing management goals and report on priorities for the next decade.
It provides an update on the implementation status of all twelve recommendations from the Auditor-General’s Report, the seven recommendations from the subsequent Standing Committee on Public Accounts Report, and a broad evaluation of restoration against the key management objectives contained in the Lower Cotter Catchment Reserve Management Plan 2018.
- to protect existing and future domestic water supply,
- to conserve the natural environment, and
- to provide for public use of the areas for education, research and low impact recreation.
Additionally, to support future evaluations and statutory reporting against management objectives and actions, this report provides a framework to monitor and evaluate water quality and ecological values over time and under changing environmental and economic conditions.
The monitoring and evaluation framework considers risk factors outlined in the infographic below.
The Commissioner has made recommendations, broadly relating to:
- Monitoring and Evaluation Implementation,
- Funding and Resources Commitment,
- Governance Improvements,
- Coordination of Efforts, and
- Legislative Interventions.
The ACT Government responded on 6 June 2019 with 13 of 14 recommendations were agreed or agreed in principle.
Click here for the full report: The Heroic and the Damned: Lower Cotter Evaluation – February 2019